By this time, I was feeling frustrated, irritated, and pushed for time. Frantically, I searched the cupboard and cookbooks for what to whip up quick. Sadly, I just wasn't finding anything, until it dawned on me. Brownies! I had everything that I needed on hand. As I was pulling the ingredients, I came across two cans of sweet potato puree that I had been wanting to use up. Well I don't know what came over me, but I made the snap decision to add them in too! I am glad that I did. The result was a very moist, dense yummy brownie that really hit my chocolate-craving spot.
Sinful Sweet Potato Brownies
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 C butter
2 C (16 oz) sweet potato puree (or mashed sweet potatoes)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp vinegar
3/4 C mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I was on a chocolate binge, what can I say)
2 C all purpose flour
1 C sugar (I used white, but I think that brown would have been better)
3 tbsp baking cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease either 9 x 13 or two 11 x7 pans.
1. Sift dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
3. Melt butter and baking chocolate together in a double broiler on the stove. When halfway melted, remove from heat, and stir continuously until melted through. Stir melted chocolate into the wet mixture until thoroughly combined. Next, incorporate the mini chocolate chips into your sweet potato mixture.
4. Gradually add wet mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until evenly moistened.
5. Spread mixture into pan(s), wetting spatula if needed. Bake for 40-45 minutes for the 9 x 13 pan or 20-25 minutes for the two 11 x 7 pans. (I used the two smaller pans because I was short on time, but I was glad that I did. I took the second pan with me to work the next day).