Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Best Ever Brussel Sprouts

Well I have a new toy: a cast iron skillet.

In the matter of two weeks, myself and this skillet have become inseperable.  It seems to make everything taste so much better!  Fried potatoes and onions have been reborn for me!  But that is something for another post...  Continuing with the the topic at hand... I have been making just about anything and everything I can think of in my new friend, putting him to good use.  Today, it was time for the rebirth of an old and trusty standby: brussel sprouts.

Now I know that a LOT of people can't stand brussel sprouts.  Let me just say now, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS!  It is only the best vegetable known to man!  Considering that I feel so strongly about my beloved sprout, it should be no surprise that I decided to introduce them to the new skillet.  Man oh man!  I didn't think it was possible for me to love brussel sprouts any more than I already do, but apparently I was wrong!  Today was a delicious feast - and so I thought I would share.



The Best Brussel Sprouts You'll Ever Eat
(can you tell I REALLY like them?!?)

1.5 lb fresh brussel sprouts, cut up how you prefer (I like mine whole)
1/4 C raw pumpkin seeds
2.5 tbsp unsalted butter
2-3 tbsp water
2 tsp minced dried onion
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning ( I am very fond of this seasoning, but if you do not have this on hand, I would imagine that fresh cracked pepper would be alright)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
                                                                CAST IRON SKILLET

1. Heat skillet over medium high heat, until hot.  Add butter, and brown.
2. Once butter is browned, add sprouts.  Saute for 1 minute (until the green color begins to deepen).
3. Add pumpkin seeds, saute for another minute.
4. Add water, cooking uncovered for 5 minutes.  Then cover sprouts, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Add seasonings, mixing well.  Cover again, and cook for a final 5 minutes.  Season with salt as desired.
6. Done!



Final note:  I paired the sprouts with amaranth because the nuttiness of the grain pairs well with the browned butter in my opinion.  For the amaranth, I prepared as normal and cooled completely (actually it was in the refrigerator overnight).  Then I spread out the serving size I wanted on tin foil, and broiled in the oven until the top began to blacken around the edges.  This was the bed for the sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment