Friday, April 23, 2010

Cliche Sayings and Lemons

Sometimes life decides to throw you a curve ball.  Other times, life decides to line up thousands of those scary automatic pitching machines and conduct a curve-ball massacre on you.  Well, let me tell you, I am under siege, and things on the battle field really stink.  Yes, yes, I know.  You take the good with the bad, when you get lemons you make lemonade, and there's always a silver lining, plus all those other cliche sayings

Folks, I know everything happens for a reason, you've just got to find it.  I really do.  BUT - that doesn't mean that while it's happening, things aren't rotten! 

As I'm sure you can infer, things in these parts of the woods aren't exactly peachy keen for the moment.  Another fitting cliche:  When it rains, it pours.  Ah....but such is life.  So while I'm trying to find my umbrella, and am dodging those nasty baseballs, I'll just make some lemonade (with vodka please!), and keep my eye out for that silver lining.  Maybe I should get some binoculars....


Make Me Smile Lemon Cookies
Adapted from Allrecipes
Makes 24 cookies

2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1/3 C soymilk, unflavored and unsweetened
1/2 C butter, softened
3/4 Turbinado sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 C all purpose flour, unbleached
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Combine lemon juice with soymilk.  Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg, then add lemon zest and milk mixture.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.  Combine with creamed mixture thoroughly.  Drop by the rounded spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.  Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet before moving to wire rack.
5. Devour

No comments:

Post a Comment